The Nyngan Solar Plant or Farm is the largest operating Solar Plant in Australia. At the time of construction, it was the largest solar plant in the southern hemisphere. The Nyngan Solar Plant is located on an agricultural property approximately 10 kilometres west of the Nyngan township. The solar plant occupies approximately 250 hectares of land to the north of the Barrier Highway.
The project involved the construction of a 102 MW solar photovoltaic (PV) power plant 15 kilometres west of the Nyngan Power Station.
The Nyngan Solar Farm construction involved:
- The design, supply, installation and construction of the connection works comprising:
- 132kV Essential Energy (EE) switchyard including primary plant, secondary equipment and civil works
- 132kV/33kV AGL transformer yard including primary and secondary equipment
- 132kV EE dual-circuit overhead line (approximately 3.0 km in length)
- Cut in to existing EE 132kV transmission line between Nyngan and Cobar
- Control and SCADA interfaces between AGL Transformer Yard and EE Switchyard
- Associated civil and structural works
- Temporary Works